This Photography Services Agreement (the “Agreement”) is entered into as of ______________, 20 _____ (the “Effective Date”), by ______________, a ____________ (the “Photographer”) and _____________, a ____________ (the “Company,” and together with the Photographer, the “Parties”).
WHEREAS, the Company wishes to engage the Photographer as an independent contractor for the Company for the purpose of taking photographs (the “Photographs”) on the terms and conditions set forth below; and
WHEREAS, the Photographer wishes to take the Photographs in accordance with the terms of this Agreement; and
WHEREAS, each Party is duly authorized and capable of entering into this Agreement.
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the above recitals and the mutual promises and benefits contained herein, the Parties hereby agree as follows:
- Of the Photographer. The Photographer agrees to do each of the following:
- Take the Photographs and perform the Services set forth in Exhibit A attached hereto and made a part hereof (collectively, the “Services”).
- Devote as much productive time, energy, and ability to the performance of its duties hereunder as may be necessary to provide the required Services in a timely and productive manner.
- Perform the Services in a safe, good, and workmanlike manner, providing its best processional efforts and using at all times adequate equipment in good working order.
- Communicate with the Company regarding progress the Photographer has made in taking the Photographs and performing the Services.
- Supply all equipment and supplies required to perform the Services under this Agreement, except to the extent that the Photographer’s work must be performed on or with the Company’s property.
- Provide services (including the Services) and end products that are satisfactory and acceptable to the Company.
- Remove, replace, or correct all or any portion of the Photographs found unsuitable, without additional cost or risk to the Company.
- Of the Company. The Company agrees to do each of the following:
- Engage the Photographer as an independent contractor to take the Photographs and perform the Services set forth in Exhibit A to this Agreement.
- Provide relevant information or support to assist the Photographer with the performance of the Services.
- Satisfy all of the Photographer’s reasonable requests for assistance in its performance of the Services.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES.
If the Company requests additional Photographs because of the Photographer’s failure to produce appropriate Photographs, as determined by the Company, the Photographer will take such additional Photographs at its own cost. The Parties will mutually determine a delivery date for the additional Photographs. Revisions requested by the Company due to other considerations shall be billed to the Company based at the rates listed in Exhibit A hereto before the Photographer begins such additional work.
This Agreement shall become effective as of the Effective Date and, unless otherwise terminated in accordance with the provisions of Section 11 of this Agreement, will continue until the Services have been satisfactorily completed and the Photographer has been paid in full for such Services (the “Term”) [; provided, however, that in no event shall this Agreement remain effective for longer than ___________ years].
- RESULTS AND PROCEEDS.
The Photographer agrees that the work to be supplied by the Photographer hereunder shall be deemed a “work-made-for-hire,” and the Company shall be deemed the sole author of the Photographs and the owner of all right, title, interest, and proceeds of every kind or nature, whether now known or hereafter devised (including, but not limited to, all copyrights and all extensions and renewals of copyrights) in and to the Photographs, with the right to make all uses of the Photographs throughout the universe and all changes in the Photographs as the Company deems necessary or desirable. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if and to the extent that any Photograph is not deemed a “work made for hire,” the Photographer hereby assigns, transfers, and conveys to the Company, exclusively, irrevocably, and in perpetuity, throughout the universe, all right, title, and interest (including all rights of copyright) in and to the Photographs, including, without limitation, the right to enforce its right in and to secure registrations, renewals, reissues, and extensions thereof. The Photographer agrees that the Company and its affiliates shall have the right to transform, edit, alter, distort, modify, add to, subtract from, enhance, broadcast, telecast, duplicate, distribute, or otherwise exhibit the Photographs worldwide in all forms of media and forms of exploitation, now known or hereafter created including, but not limited to, websites, film, television, radio, and print. The Photographer agrees that the Photographer will have no right to approve any use of the Photographs. The Photographer agrees that no third party has or shall have any right of approval over the use of the Photographs or will be due any amounts from the use of the Photographs.
Any publicity, including press releases or other information in connection with this Agreement is under the sole control of the Company. The Photographer shall not consent to and/or authorize any person or entity to release any information concerning this Agreement without the express prior written approval of the Company; provided, however, the Photographer has the right to use the Photographs in the Photographer’s portfolio without the prior consent of the Company. If the Photographer wishes to use the Photographs for any other purpose, the Photographer must get the prior written permission of the Company.
- USE OF PHOTOGRAPHER’S NAME.
If the Company so elects, the Company will have the right, for the Term of this Agreement, to use the Photographer’s name, biography, and likeness in connection with the advertising and exploitation of the Photographs.
- NO OBLIGATION TO USE.
The Company shall have no obligation to use the Photographs. The Company’s sole obligation to the Photographer is to pay the sums set forth above to the Photographer; provided, however, that no such amounts will be paid if the Photographer is in default.
- PHOTOGRAPHER’S REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES.
The Photographer hereby represents and warrants that:
- s/he is, at the execution of this Agreement, at least eighteen (18) years old and not a minor;
- s/he has the full right and legal capacity to enter into this Agreement and to grant the rights granted or agreed to be granted hereunder;
- there is no outstanding contract, commitment, agreement, or legal impediment of any kind that conflicts with this Agreement or that might limit, restrict, or impair the rights granted to the Company or its affiliates hereunder;
- the identifying information of the Photographer set forth above is true and correct;
- s/he has entered into this Agreement freely, voluntarily, and without reliance on any promises, representations, or other statements not contained in this Agreement; and
- s/he has read and understands this Agreement.
- COMPANY’S RIGHTS.
The Company shall be the sole and exclusive owner of the Photographs and all rights with respect thereto (collectively, “Rights”), which shall include all rights in and to the Photographs created by the Photographer, in all media and all forms of exploitation whether now known or hereafter devised, throughout the universe, including all allied and subsidiary rights, such as merchandising rights, non-interactive and interactive electronic publication rights, multimedia rights, publication rights including for publicity and advertising purposes. The Company shall have no obligation to pay additional compensation to the Photographer or any third parties for any exploitation of the foregoing Rights. The Photographer waives the benefits of any provision of law known as the “droit morale” or any similar or analogous law, regulation, or decision in any country of the world.
- THIRD PARTIES; TAXES.
The Photographer acknowledges that nothing in this Agreement gives the Photographer the right to bind or commit the Company to any agreements with any third parties. Furthermore, the Photographer warrants and represents that the Photographer is solely liable for and will pay all applicable taxes on all amounts earned pursuant to this Agreement. The Photographer further agrees to indemnify, defend (with counsel acceptable to the Company) and hold harmless the Company, its parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and the employees, agents, successors, and assigns of each, from any and all liability that the Company may incur regarding the payment of taxes for the Photographer’s services. The Photographer shall be responsible for providing any and all disability or workers’ compensation insurance that may be required by law.
The Company shall be responsible for and shall pay any sales, use, or similar taxes applicable to this transaction.
This Agreement may be terminated:
- By either Party on provision of ________ (____) days written notice to the other Party, with or without cause.
- By either Party for a material breach of any provision of this Agreement by the other Party, if the other Party’s material breach is not cured within ________ (____) days of receipt of written notice thereof.
- By the Company at any time and without prior notice, if the Photographer is convicted of any crime or offense, fails or refuses to comply with the written policies or reasonable directives of the Company, or is guilty of serious misconduct in connection with performance under this Agreement.
Following the termination of this Agreement for any reason, the Company shall promptly pay the Photographer according to the terms of Exhibit A for Services rendered before the effective date of the termination. The Photographer acknowledges and agrees that no other compensation, of any nature or type, shall be payable hereunder following the termination of this Agreement.
- DEFAULT BY PHOTOGRAPHER.
If, for any reason, the Photographer fails to complete or deliver the Photographs or any related materials within the time and the manner specified in this Agreement and Exhibit A hereto, the Company, at its election, may either:
- terminate this Agreement in its entirely, in which event the Company shall be released and discharged from any further obligations to the Photographer hereunder or otherwise, including, but not limited to, the obligation to make any payments to the Photographer; provided, however, such termination or cancellation shall not invalidate the rights granted by the Photographer to the Company hereunder; or
- specify a new date by which the Photographer must complete and deliver the Photographs and related materials to the Company.
The Photographer at all times shall indemnify, defend (with counsel acceptable to the Company) and hold harmless the Company, its parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and the employees, agents, successors, and assigns of each, from and against any and all claims, actions, damages, and losses, liabilities and expenses, including reasonable outside attorneys’ fees, arising out of or caused by any breach of any of the representations, warranties, undertakings, or agreements made by the Photographer hereunder.
- ENTIRE AGREEMENT.
This Agreement constitutes the final, complete, and exclusive statement of the agreement of the Parties with respect to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes any and all other prior and contemporaneous agreements and understandings, both written and oral, between the Parties.
This Agreement is personal to the Photographer and may not be assigned by the Photographer. The Company shall have the right to assign, sublicense, sell, or pass-through any rights contained herein or this Agreement to a third party without approval from the Photographer.
This Agreement may be supplemented, amended, or modified only by the mutual agreement of the Parties, which agreement must be in writing and signed by both Parties.
Any notice or other communication provided for herein or given hereunder to a Party hereto shall be in writing and shall be given in person, by overnight courier, or by mail (registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, return-receipt requested) to the respective Parties as follows:
If to the Company:
If to the Photographer:
- GOVERNING LAW.
This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the state of______________. In the event that litigation results from or arises out of this Agreement or the performance thereof, the Parties agree to reimburse the prevailing Party’s reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, and all other expenses, whether or not taxable by the court as costs, in addition to any other relief to which the prevailing Party may be entitled.
Whenever possible, each provision of this Agreement will be interpreted in such manner as to be effective and valid under applicable law, but if any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable in any respect under any applicable law or rule in any jurisdiction, such invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability will not affect any other provision or any other jurisdiction, but this Agreement will be reformed, construed, and enforced in such jurisdiction as if such invalid, illegal, or unenforceable provisions had never been contained herein.
- COUNTERPARTS/ELECTRONIC SIGNATURES.
This Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original but all of which shall constitute one and the same instrument. For purposes of this Agreement, use of a facsimile, e-mail, or other electronic medium shall have the same force and effect as an original signature.
Headings used in this Agreement are provided for convenience only and shall not be used to construe meaning or intent.
[SIGNATURE PAGE FOLLOWS]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties hereto have executed this Agreement as of the date first above written.
DUTIES, SPECIFICATIONS, AND COMPENSATION
- The Photographer will perform the following Services in connection with his/her taking of the Photographs: _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
- (Optional) SPECIFICATIONS. The Parties agree to the following additional specifications about the Services to be provided: ______________________________
- DELIVERY SCHEDULE. The Services will commence on or about ______________ and continue until complete delivery of the Photographs by the Photographer to the Company. The Photographs will be delivered as follows:
- Proof sheets on ________________________;
- Prints / slides on _________________.
If the Company requests additional Photographs, the delivery schedule will be mutually determined by the Parties. The Parties acknowledge that time is of the essence.
- (Select one only)
As full compensation for the Services rendered pursuant to this Agreement, the Company shall pay the Photographer the rate of [$___________] per hour (the “Fee”), with total payment not to exceed [$____________] without the Company’s prior written approval. The Photographer shall provide invoices requesting compensation on a [weekly][semi-monthly][monthly] basis.
As full compensation for the Services rendered pursuant to this Agreement, the Company shall pay the Photographer the sum of ____________________ [$______] (the “Fee”), to be paid _____________________________________ [Insert Time and Conditions of Payment.] [e.g., on completion of phase 1 of project]
As full compensation for the Services rendered pursuant to this Agreement, including receipt by the Company of the Photographs and any related materials (including the negatives), and for all rights granted or agreed to be granted and for all undertakings and warranties made by the Photographer hereunder, the Company agrees to pay the Photographer a fee of _________________ Dollars ($000) (the “Fee”) for the Photographs. The Photographer shall invoice the Company as follows:
- one-third (1/3) of the Fee upon commencement of Services;
- one-third (1/3) of the Fee upon submission of the proofs, and
- one-third (1/3) of the Fee upon delivery of the completed Photographs and all related materials to the Company.
All invoices will be paid within ____________ (___) days of receipt by the Company. The Company will pay for all pre-approved expenses that the Photographer invoices to the Company.
[SIGNATURE PAGE FOLLOWS]
By signing below, the Parties agree to comply with all of the requirements contained in this Exhibit A.